Monday, October 1, 2012

Poor Gator {October 1, 2012}

On Wednesday last week things got very turned around and in the worst way possible. We got home from work and lounged around the house for a little while. Around 7 Sam took Gator to the dog park to play (pretty standard evening) unfortunately, that's where it stopped being standard. Sam called me about twenty minutes later and asked me to meet them outside with some ice. He said Gator had gotten into a little fight with another dog and his tongue had gotten cut. He was bleeding pretty bad and we figured the ice would help the bleeding stop. Unfortunately, it did not help. About an hour later and Gator's tongue was still bleeding we decided to call the vet and see if he had any suggestions. When I called it sent us to the Emergency Animal Clinic. The girl there said we should bring him in and have the vet look at him. We did, and they said they would knock him out to do the stitches in his tongue. They said it would take about an hour or two and then we could come get him. We went and got some dinner and headed to my mom and dad's house. It was much closer and we figured we could just hang out for a little while.

About 45 minutes later the vet called and said that they had given him stitches but that he must have a cut lower in his throat that was bleeding into his lungs. They said that things were not looking good for Gator,but that they would keep us posted. My heart sank. It was horrible. We were both freaking out and I decided we couldn't just sit at my mom's house so I told Sam we needed to go back to the clinic and talk to the vet in person. Sam didn't want to go in, so I did. I saw Gator and he looked awful. He was all drugged out and looked so sad. I was devastated. I talked to the vet and he said they needed to keep him over night so they could watch him and keep him on an IV. They said they were trying to get the bleeding to stop, but that if things looked bad in the night he would call us. That was the worst thing. Sam and I were both up on and off all night. We kept waiting for the phone to ring. What a horrible phone call to wait for. Luckily, no call. Sam's alarm went off around 6. I just got up right then and headed out to get Gator. They said I should come around 7:30, but I just couldn't wait. I went to get him and to talk to the vet. The vet said that they had gotten the bleeding to stop, but that he was still pretty sick. He said Gator had an upper respiratory infection from all the blood going into his lungs. He said he had thrown up a whole bunch of blood (and grass) in the night. When I got to see Gator he sat up and wagged his tail. I think I was more excited to see him, than he was to see me. They unhooked his IV and other cords and we were off. Gator smelled horrible, but I didn't even care. I was just so happy he was going home with me.

I called Sam on our way home to tell him that Gator was coming home. He was so relieved. The next couple of days were pretty rough. Gator was really out of it and wouldn't eat or drink. Finally, I had to start giving him his medicine through a syringe, just so we knew he was getting it. On Friday he drank water. That was HUGE!! We were so excited he was making progress. On Saturday he ate string cheese, and then a bowl of shredded chicken. I was beyond excited that he was finally eating something. I can't remember if it was Friday or Saturday, but he picked up his stick and I think both me and my mom cried a little bit just because we knew that was big progress. On Sunday he actually ate a little dog food, and a bunch of table scraps.

He is still pretty tired and isn't at perky as we are use to him being, but he is definitely on the upswing. We are just so glad he's ok. I don't think Sam or I have prayed that hard in a while, I think we needed a reminder about priorities and how much we need Heavenly Father in our lives. Miracles do happen.







No comments:

Post a Comment