Friday, July 6, 2012

Kids

Having kids has kind of been a weird subject for me. I get A LOT of pressure/comments/suggestions/judgments about being married for four years, 25, and no kids yet. Not that it really is anyone's business, but I feel like I should clarify. I think there is a difference between not wanting kids at all- and wanting them in the right time. I have been in both boats. I think when you are in the first boat you should not have kids... if you don't want them, then by all means do not have them. You aren't doing anyone any favors by doing that. I feel like it is worse for someone to have kids because that's what is expected or that's the next step is when they don't really want them, than the person that just doesn't have kids. I feel like at this point in my life I am in the second boat. I want kids. I also want to have kids in the right time for me and Sam.

I have always been one for preparation. I literally bought most of the stuff I wanted for my house before I got married and had it in a tote for a few months. I wanted to be prepared, in fact I didn't buy toilet paper or paper towels for like a year after I got married because I had started buying it before and saving it. I like to know that my necessities are taken care of before I take huge leaps. I feel like that's a good thing. It is really weird to me that I get a lot of negative feed back for being that way- what gives. Kids to me are one of the biggest leaps- if not the biggest that you will ever take in your lifetime. I feel like a lot of couples don't give that choice the credit it deserves. I want to be ready for kids- I feel like they deserve that. I want to be able to look my kids in the eye and tell them that I PLANNED and PREPARED for them- and not that I wasn't ready but got ready after I was already pregnant. I am by no means faulting those people that choose to do things differently than me, I mean to each his own, but I also am a little tired of being faulted for the way I am choosing to do things. So, here's where I am at.

I want to have kids. I want my kids to have the best life possible. I want my life to be as good as possible. I want to be the best mom possible. I know that I cannot do or have those things without getting ready first. I realize I will never be fully ready for kids, but I can get as ready as possible and set a time frame that works for me and Sam. I appreciate that certain people are interested in our personal life, and I honestly take it as a compliment when people want us to have kids and talk to us about having kids. I am not, however flattered when people fault or degrade where we are, or somehow think we are less of a family without kids. I appreciate advise and words of encouragement, so thank you to those that provide that. When my planned time comes, I will be very happy to welcome kids into the Weldin family, but until then I am happy being married and 25, and I hope our friends and family can be happy with that too. I mean isn't that enough? :)

Sorry about the little rant- Its out of my system and I feel much better thank you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment