Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My talk {September 15, 2013}

I had to give a talk in church, and I was an absolute wreck. My bishopric asked me to talk about miracles. I really wanted to remember it- so here's my talk:


Miracles

I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself. Even though we have been members of this ward for more than 4 years, there are many of you that I don’t know.  I spend quite a bit of time in the hall ways with my sweet little baby, so I apologize many of you may not recognize me. My name is Kacee Weldin, I am married to Sam Weldin we have been married just over 5 years and we have a 5 month old little boy named Hayes. We teach 6-7 year olds in primary, and we feel very blessed to get to hang out with them for a couple of hours each week.

So, I feel like I need to begin my talk with a disclaimer, I am not a spiritual giant by a long shot, and I feel very inadequate speaking to all of you today. That being said, I am in constant amazement of how my Heavenly Father works, so even though I may not by very knowledgeable, I have been incredibly blessed to have experienced and witness many amazing miracles in my life. And, so I knew when Brother Van Lehn asked me to speak today about miracles that my Heavenly father would help me know what to say.  I found two talks in regards to miracles, one given by President Howard W. Hunter and the other by Sister Sydney S. Reynolds that I wish I could just read word for word to you, because they summed up everything I would want to say, but much more beautifully than I could ever do. But, my dad said the church frowns on plagiarism, so I will only share small parts, but encourage you to read or listen to them if you get the chance. 

I have been so incredibly blessed in my life to have experienced life changing miracles. The fact that I am standing here today, and have sweet healthy little baby boy are some of the most precious recent miracles in my life. The day that Hayes was born I refer to as my day of miracles. So, many miraculous things happened, that can only be explained as gifts from a loving, and aware Heavenly Father.   I will spare you many of the details but during my labor with Hayes I had some complications and ended being in labor for a significant amount of time and ended having to have an emergency c-section. Both Hayes and I had to have quite a bit of medical attention during the delivery, and after he was born. A nurse made a comment to my husband in the hospital that really hit home the gravity of the situation when she said “Sir, you are a lucky man. If it wasn’t for the miracle of modern medicine you would not have a wife and son today.” During the day of my delivery I received multiple blessing from Sam and my dad, not only to help me but to help our sweet baby, who was at the time struggling. Although I don’t remember exactly what was said in those blessings, I do remember Sam saying that we were both going to be ok.  I am eternally grateful for the miracle of modern medicine, the power of the priesthood, and a loving Heavenly Father that blessed me and my sweet baby that night.  To me, that day was just as significant at Moses parting the Red Sea. I was grateful that my Heavenly Father was willing to bless me and my family with such a life changing miracle. Part of me feels like I was asked to give this talk, purely so I could publicly thank my Heavenly Father for that miracle in my life, so I would feel very ungrateful if I did not expression my appreciation to him today.

In a talked given by Sydney S Reynolds in April of 2001 entitled “A God of Miracles” she shares a similar story about her daughter giving birth to twins, a boy and a girl,  3 and a half months early. After months of constant monitoring and care, the little boy is release home but the little girl continues to struggle. The doctor suggest that a surgery needs to be done to help open her air way and to open her stomach to help her breath and eat better. This was a particularly terrifying surgery, because the repercussion could be long lasting. Sister Reynolds family gathered together to fast and pray on December 3. On December 4th , they received this letter :

Dearest Family, Wonderful news! Blessing from the Lord. Our heartfelt thanks for your prayers and fasting in behalf of our little girl. Yesterday morning she came off the ventilator and has been off for 24 hours at this writing. To us, it is a miracle. The medical staff are still guarded about predicting the future, but we are so grateful to the Lord and to you. WE are praying that this will mark the beginning of the end of her hospital stay. And we even dare to hope that she’ll be home for Christmas.

-She did make it home for Christmas, and both babies are doing just fine.

In their family they referred to this miraculous event as their “parting of the Red Sea experience”, I do the same with my experience with Hayes.  

Mighty miracles such as these are evident throughout history and particularly so when Christ was on the earth. In a talk given by Howard W. Hunter entitled The God That Doest Wonders, he shared of many of the miracles Christ performed on earth. President Hunter made the following statement:   

It is the most remarkable to witness one who is deaf made to hear again. But surely that great blessing is no more startling than the wondrous combination of bones and skin and nerves that lets our ears receive the beautiful world of sound. Should we not stand in awe of the blessing of hearing and give glory to God for that miracle, even as we do when hearing is restored after it has been lost?

As I sat and thought about that question, I began to think about all the amazing things that I have been blessed with, that I take for granted. Like President Hunter mentions, hearing is such an amazing miracle that takes no effort on our part, but can be devastating if it is lost, and the restoration of it is quite miraculous.  As I thought about the many miracles that exist within my own body, and within my own home I began to think of the tender mercies our Heavenly Father gives and shows us on a daily basis. Seemingly insignificant things that to each of us can be monumental and can only come from an aware and loving Heavenly Father. Keys lost and found.  Work scheduled changed to fit the need of a new mother.  Marathons finished despite injury and difficulty. Paths not taken or doors not opened, that left room for something greater to take its place, all gifts from our Heavenly Father, and all miracles in their own right. 

Sister Reynolds in her talked entitled A God of Miracles shares a story of being in college and frantically trying to finish an assignment and prepare to leave for a trip. She was doing laundry in the dorms and was trying to switch her laundry from the washer to the dryer. Unfortunately, all the dryers were taken and had a number of minutes left on their cycles. She was upset and knew that she was not going to be able to complete all of her tasks before she needed to be on the road. She went back upstairs very discouraged. While she was upstairs she felt a prompting to go back down to the laundry room and check again. She questioned the feeling for a moment, but decided to check it out. When she went back down, she found two dryers open and was able to get her laundry completed in time to leave for her trip. She asks the question:

Could the Lord possibly be concerned about smoothing my way in such a small but, to me, important matter? She answers the question by saying “ I have learned since through many such experiences that the Lord will help us in every aspect of our lives when we are trying to serve Him and do His will.” She goes on to say “ I believe that all of us can bear witness to these small miracles. We know children who pray for help to find a lost item and find it. We know of young people who gather the courage to stand as a witness of God and feeling his sustaining hand. We know of friends who pay their tithing with the last of their money and then, through a miracle, find themselves able to pay their tuition or their rent or somehow obtain food for their family. We can share experiences of prayers answered and priesthood blessings that gave courage, brought comfort, or restored health. These daily miracles acquaint us with the hand of the Lord in our lives.”

I, like many of you, experience these private miracles, or tender mercies on a near daily basis. One time while traveling home from Las Vegas with my sisters, I blew a tire. After pulling off the side of the road, I soon realized that I didn’t have all the tools necessary to change the tire. We were at least an hour or so away from home, and it was starting to get late. After a quick prayer, my sisters and I were blessed to find a gentleman who was able to help us change the tire and get on our way home again. In this instant in my life, I asked the same question that sister Reynolds asked.. Could the Lord possibly be concerned about smoothing my way in such a small but, to me, important matter? My answer, much the same as hers, is yes. My Heavenly Father is aware of me, and my needs above even my own comprehension. Elder David Bednar gave a talk in General Conference entitled The Tender Mercies of the Lord in which he shares this story of his first experiencing speaking in General Conference:

 

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf had just finished speaking and had declared his powerful witness of the Savior. Then we all stood together to sing the intermediate hymn that had previously been announced by President Gordon B. Hinkley The intermediate hymn that morning was “Redeemer of Israel.” Now, the music for the various conference sessions had been determined many weeks before and obviously long before my new call to serve. If, however, I had been invited to suggest an intermediate hymn for that particular session of the conference – a hymn that would have been both edifying and spiritually soothing for me and for the congregation before my first address in this Conference Center I would have selected my favorite hymn, “Redeemer of Isreal.” Tears filled my eyes as I stood with you to sing that stirring hymn of the Restoration.

He goes on to say:

Near the conclusion of the singing, to my mind came this verse of the Book Of Mormon “ But behold, I, Nephi will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those who, he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.”

The Lord uses miracles to show how aware he is of each of us, and to help increase our faith. I have noticed that after I recognize a miracle in my life, I have a better understanding of just how dependent I am on him in my daily life. I am also made more aware of how much I am talking to him in prayer. It is very humbling to be blessed by a miracle, and then to have to begin a prayer with an apology for being away for so long.

I have a sister who is an amazing journal keeper and is always noting her thoughts and feelings. She keeps a detailed record and history of her life and events around her.  As she looks back, she is able to see many additional miracles that she hadn’t noticed while in the moment. As I prepared for this talk, I began to notice more tender mercies in my life. I was inspired to accept a challenge to journal my daily miracles, and to make an effort to watch for the additional miracles in my life that may otherwise go unnoticed.  I encourage you to challenge yourself to not only notice the private miracles or tender mercies that our Heavenly Father gives us, but to write them down and share them with your loved ones. Making an effort to notice, and identify private miracles in my life has made me more aware of just how personally my Heavenly Father knows me, and how much I actually rely on him to make it through each day.  I feel grateful to my Heavenly Father for showing me how loved I am and for his great power in my life.

 I share Sister Reynold’s sentiments when she stated: God did part the Red Sea, and He did give us the Book of Mormon. He can heal us from our sins. And He can and will bless us, His children in our daily lives. I know that he lives and loves us and is today a God of Miracles. I am prepared to testify that there is today, as there was yesterday and will forever, be a “God of Miracles” who loves his children and desires to bless them.

 I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment