Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hayes's Birth Story

I have really slacked off on writing, but I have a really good excuse because Hayes is here! On Friday April 12, 2013 my water broke. I was at home and been in bed watching TV for a little while. It was just before ten pm when I got up to go to the bathroom. I had stood back up and was heading back to bed when all of the sudden I felt a gush. I wasn't sure what was happening but I knew I didn't have any control of it. I kept going for a little while and eventually I just started laughing. Sam could hear and asked me what was gong on. I told him my water had broken. He started panicking a little at that point. I called my mom and asked what to do. She was so excited and told me to call labor and delivery. I really didn't want to go right in because I wasn't having contractions and I had heard its better to try and labor from home. I called though and sure enough they said I needed to come right in and get checked. I showered and put some clothes on and we were off. My mom came and got Gator so the poor thing wouldn't be home alone. We checked into the hospital and waited. Right after I checked in they had 3 babies come and the nurses had to go help. So, after an hour they came back to check me. When the nurse was checking me the rest of my water came out- everywhere. So, they moved me rooms and started me on pitocen . They said since my water had broken I needed to be contracting- but I wasn't. They said I had 24 hours before he needed to be out- little did I know my body was going to take that as a challenge. They hooked me up and over the next few hours my contractions really started. They came so fast and hard I hardly had time to breath. It was awful. Finally at 3 am I got an epidural . It helped a lot. The next morning our families came over. I was so glad to see them. I can't remember for sure but I think I was only dilated to a 3 or 4 by 8 or 9 the next day. A nurse named Bonnie was there with me and really was such an angel. It's weird because my mom ended up knowing her because they went to nursing school together and it turned out she lives in Sam's parent's ward. Small world. A large portion of the day is a huge blur to me. I think for my own benefit. My epidural was not as effective later on and I could feel the contractions, sometimes really intensely.

The day progressed slowly and my body was making just enough progress that they let me keep going. Finally, around 5 they decided to try and have me push. I was at a ten. I tried and tried and tried. My back, neck, and shoulders were screaming at me ( stupid car crash). I tried pushing for more than a hour with little to no improvement. Sam got a little sick at one point and had to sit down and drink some juice. The doc explained to me that the baby's head was turned and it was not fitting through. He explained about a c-section. He said it was still my choice but the baby was not recovering well from the contractions. He asked me if I wanted to keep trying. I asked if it would make a difference. He said no, so I said is that even a question then? I was so physically and emotionally exhausted. I don't remember much around this point but I distinctly remember my sisters and mom crying. I cried too. I'm not exactly sure why I was crying- fatigue, fear, or relief? Maybe all of them.

When they took me back I remember crying a lot, I didn't want to loose it like that in front of everyone. They prepped me and tried to start. I could feel everything. They didn't believe me, so I moved my legs for them. They said the only option at that point was to knock me completely out, so that's what they did.

The next part I have rely on what I have been told because I didn't come to for a couple of hours. The baby got some of the meds and had to be put on oxygen and worked on for a little bit. I am glad I missed that part. He did come around a few minutes later. Sam was the first to hold him. They took us back to the room and let everyone hold him. They had me and him do skin to skin. I remember coming in and out at this point. I remember saying "I just wish I could open my eyes and see him." I apparently asked quite a few times if he really was a boy, how much he weighed and if he was really here. The nurses and my mom helped me nurse him.

I don't remember too much until we got to our room upstairs. I just looked at him and studied all of his features. He was so tiny ( 7 lbs even- 19.5 inches long). He was so perfect. I was instantly so in love with him. I would do that again a hundred times if Hayes was on the other end. It was incredibly difficult but I am beyond happy he's here. The nurse upstairs told Sam if it wasn't for modern medicine both Hayes and I wouldn't have survived. That was very upsetting for me, but also does make me incredibly grateful for modern medicine.

During labor I had so many incredible experiences. If pregnancy wasn't spiritual enough, labor and delivery was so far above and beyond. Sam and my dad gave me a blessing and it was one of the first times Sam has given me a blessing, and it was perfect. After Hayes was born him and my dad gave one to him too. It was so beautiful. He called me Hayes's mama in the blessing and my heart melted. Nothing sounded more amazing to me than to hear him say that. Probably one of the most special and amazing things that happened was I felt someone kiss my forehead and I knew it was Sam's dad. He was there and so comforting. I have always been sad I never met him, but I knew in that moment he knew me and was there for our special day. I will never forget how special and amazing that moment was. Heaven is so close and I am so grateful that our Heavenly Father allowed Ricky to come be apart of Hayes coming to earth. I know he watched over me and Hayes and how grateful I am for that.












5 comments:

  1. Beautiful story Kacee...made me cry. You are truly blessed in everyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your birth story is so touching, I honestly had to hold back tears. I'm so so grateful for modern medicine so you and baby Hayes are safe. You are going to make to greatest mom, I love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kacee! This made me cry! It reminded me SO much of my first labor and c-section! So happy for you and your sweet little family!! He is SO sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kacee this just made me bawl! Love this story! Hayes is so precious and so lucky to have you and Sam as his parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. im in love with these pictures brought some tears to my eyes the one of your mother looking at you is amazing and shows all her love.

    ReplyDelete