Thursday, February 7, 2013

With a heavy heart {February 7, 2013}

This morning I got some really devastating news that a friend in my ward had passed away. She had been having some medical issues, and some other personal issues in her life in the past few months/years and died this morning. She was 36. I am in complete disbelief. I feel completely devastated for her family, and especially her 4 children. Today was another reminder to me of just how fragile life is, and how when it is our time to go there is no stopping it. I am eternally grateful for my knowledge of forever families and that Heaven a beautiful place where pain and hurt does not exist. I am grateful to know that my friend is in the arms of her loving Heavenly Father right now, and that she can and will be watching over her family from above.

My first memory of Amy is my first Sunday at church after we moved into our ward. She came up and greeted me and said hello. She was incredibly friendly and so sweet to help me feel comfortable. That was the only week I went to Relief Society (because we got called to teach primary) and Amy made sure I sat by her. She was a runner too, and so we talked about running the marathon and how fun it was. She really made me feel so welcome and noticed. I have always been grateful for her for that. Recently, when I told the other primary leaders and teachers that I was pregnant, Amy came up and gave me such a big hug and told me how happy she was for me. She was incredibly sweet. I saw her a few more times after that and each time I saw her she gave me a big hug and was so sweet to me. I am grateful to have my last memories of her be so warm and tender.

In the midst of trying to wrap my head around this devastation I couldn't help but think about how important is to hug the ones we love, and to make sure people around us know that they are important and special. Amy was amazing and doing that, and I hope that I can really focus on growing that attribute in myself in her honor. I am truly grateful that I had the opportunity to know her and to enjoy her personality and spirit even if it was for just a short time. On a day like today I am incredibly grateful for my religion and for the insight, knowledge, hope, and comfort it brings. My heart breaks for those that endure these types of tragedies without such comforting insight.

Today I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for providing a way through the devastation and for being aware of each of his children, including me. I am sure he is very happy to have one of his sweet daughters with him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment